Title : Role of Vitamin D in Depression in older adults
This presentation will focus in discuss the possible role of vitamin D in depression, bringing data summarized from studies with older adults. The Life expectancy is increasing, as the prevalence of both depression and deficiency levels of vitamin D. Further, the aged people are known to present risk to both, depression, and low serum levels of vitamin D. It is important to discuss the possible ways of prevention since establishment of depression involve multiple mechanisms and it is a disabling condition. The vitamin D is one of possible ways to prevent depression. Some preclinical, clinical, and observational studies have been showing promising results. The presentation would start briefly defining depression, following by characterization of Vitamin D, its metabolism, and actions in central nervous system; the dietary aspects and recommendations; the different cut-off points to evaluate the serum concentrations and diagnose; the factors that have been related with the low level of vitamin D. It is also important to show evidence of possible effects of vitamin D in depression. In the sequence, it will be presented the findings from studies around the world about this topic, including recent data published by my research group regarding vitamin D and depression in elderly. Also, is planned to bring some research data from the presenter thesis about the theme, in that was dedicated 4 years of PhD researching about the possible determinants of vitamin D and the association with depression in a cohort of older adults from the EpiFloripa Aging Study from Brazil.
Audience Take Away Notes:
- The audience will be able to review the fundamentals of synthesis and metabolism of vitamin D
- The audience will be able to critically learn to evaluate the serum concentrations of vitamin D in different age stages and the necessity to periodically check vitamin D blood status
- The audience will be updated from the recent studies about the prevalence of deficiency of vitamin D around the world and also about depression in older adults, observing the important role of vitamin D for adequate central nervous system function and prevention of depression
- The audience could be inspired to develop more research about the theme from the available data based in literature
- The audience will be updated about the main lack in research that could be develop in new studies